Hi there, I’m Nathan, and welcome to Handling Diabetes. Today’s story is about my diagnosis and how that affected my family and me.

So first off, here’s a little history on the day before my actual diagnosis.

February 29th, 2015 was the day before my diagnosis. It was pretty typical, except I was hanging out with one of my best friends. We were doing the usual things, playing video games, eating food, just generally hanging out. 

Now at the time, I didn’t realize it, but every now and then, I would grab a large glass of lemonade; the bad thing about this is that I would grab another… And then another… and then another. Before I knew it, I had finished an entire container of powdered lemonade – nearly 500 carbs of pure sugar. 

Again at the time, I had no idea what this would do. I just thought I was really thirsty. After a few hours, my friend went home, and I went to bed. Still getting thirstier and thirstier.

After asking my mom for water, she brought me a “shooter” bottle, a small 8oz bottle of water that I promptly chugged. 

A few minutes later, however, the water came back, and I threw up. A scary experience for sure, but I knew I had to get water, so I drank another bottle… and threw up again. I called my mom in, and she cleaned up and grabbed more water. After all, we didn’t know any better than to just keep getting water into my system.

After nearly a dozen water bottles, if I remember correctly, it was 15, I was finally rushed to the emergency room, still to this point in my life the worst night of my life, I clearly remember crying while my parents ran to get the paperwork filled out, while I held back vomit from a petri dish that the workers gave me. Possibly the lowest I’ve ever felt physically and emotionally. 

When I finally got into a room, the nurse turned off the lights while I laid down. Initially, they thought I had a migraine. Obviously, not the case in hindsight, but that’s beside the point. 

Nearly an hour later, my grandma showed up, and by this point, they had moved me to a different room; my grandma was obviously concerned and was trying to do what she could, so when I said I was hungry, she gave me a fruit cup. After I ate, the doctor came in and said, “he shouldn’t be eating that he has diabetes” my mom still claims that he had the worst bedside manners, but I had been asleep through a lot of this process, so I don’t know for sure. 

Anyway, the doctor had dropped a bomb on my entire family in just a few words and as a young kid, nearly 10 at the time, all I heard was “die,” so I immediately broke down. This is the part that I remember the most vividly, tears running down my face while I remained shut down and quiet, my mom holding me, all the things that make for an emotional moment. 

Shortly after my official diagnosis, I was rushed to the hospital, but that is a story for the next episode.

Now six years later, I realized how hard this whole diagnosis process was, obviously it was hard at the time, but now I can understand the reason why it was so hard – for me, it was seeing my parents cry, and for my parents, it was seeing me shut down completely. Which I’m sure those of you watching may have experienced or are currently experiencing. I promise it does get better, it takes time, but it gets better.

A few things to take away from this first story are that it sucks really hard at first when you’re going through it, really hard, but that it gets better; again, though, it will take time, but it gets better. If it didn’t, then I wouldn’t be here making this video. Another take away is to trust your family and those around you. Throughout the whole process, I had to rely on my family, as well as doctors, for support. For me, it was hard because I tend to be a little too prideful for my own good. But again, trust those around you because it really will make the whole situation more manageable, not only for you but for your family as well, don’t shut down like I did because it will only make it harder on everyone. And finally… don’t drink an entire container of powdered lemonade; I swear that stuff really did me in, and I’m still feeling it today.

Thank you for reading if you’d like more than please check out and follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: